Select Page

Maesyronnen Chapel

In 1689 the Act of Toleration granted Nonconformists freedom to worship in their own buildings without certain legal strictures that had formerly applied. Maesyronnen Chapel was one of the earliest buildings in Wales to be created for this purpose. It was developed from an existing longhouse (a farmhouse with an attached cattle-shed), the cattle-shed being converted into a chapel and the farmhouse used by the caretaker. The conversion took place in the 1690s, either in 1691 or in 1696–97. It was registered as a chapel in 1697 and was used by a congregation which had been meeting in secret in a barn nearby since the 1640s. The chapel was built on land given by Charles Lloyd, squire of Maesllwch. The original farmhouse would have been a substantial building dating from the Elizabethan era. At some time it was replaced by a much smaller house, a chapel-house, for the minister. The original roof was replaced in the 18th century and the floor, formerly beaten earth, was flagged.
In 1980 the chapel received a grant for repairs, having been recognised as a building of “outstanding architectural and historic importance” by the Historic Buildings Council. Further restoration and repair became necessary in the 21st century and Cadw gave a grant of £50,000, following a recommendation from the Historic Buildings Advisory Council for Wales. The chapel re-opened for worship in the spring of 2008.